Gluten Free Date Nut Apple Crisp

I'm trying to find my niche in gluten free baking.  What is my passion, my purpose?  Baking is the hardest to learn in the gluten free lifestyle, so I've focused on baking. But do we really need all the sugar and carbs just so we can have a treat like the rest of the world?  Well, yes and no. 

 When I found out I had Celiac the second time (I was born with it and they said I'd outgrown it at 7.....not true), I was losing weight rapidly.  I couldn't keep on any weight because my body wasn't absorbing any nutrients.  When I went gluten free again I gained it all back, unlike many who lose weight on a gluten free diet.  Part of it was I was so determined to learn how to bake gluten free, which involved a lot of testing and carbs and sugar, sugar, sugar!  So many times as a little girl my question was, "What's for me?"  I don't want that to be a struggle for you or your kids.  But neither do I want us to be unhealthy with sugar just because we're desperate to find a great substitute!  Actually, I would love if gluten free was the delicious way to eat and we could make the same treat for the whole family!

I'm trying to add less sugar, less carbs and more whole food options.  This recipe has no added refined sugar or sweetners. OK, I know I have added a lot of fruit which has a lot of sugar, but it also has fiber, vitamins and other nutrients which your body uses and benefits from . (See an article on the history and benefits of dates Here). 

This is more of a whole foods approach to baking.  I'm going to be working on adding more of those types of baking recipes in the future.  (If you'd like to see other recipes of mine with less sugar and a more whole food approach they are, GF Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Bar, GF Oat Nut Pie Crust, GF Harvest Apple Bread,GF Coconut Almond Brownie Cake and GF Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins)  Am I going to cut out all sugar in my recipes?  No.  I love a moist, sweet piece of cake or a chocolate chip cookie, but I am going to work on being more conscious of my health in addition to my palate.  

Enjoy this delicious new twist on apple crisp!

To watch me make this click  Here

Gluten Free Date Nut Apple Crisp

In a food processor (or blender) add:

1/8 cup of coconut flour (can use potato flour or 1/4 cup of other gluten free flour of your choice)
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup dates (about 20 cut up)
1 pinch of salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Blend until dates are just left in very small chunks.  Then add:

1cup oatmeal
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1 cup nuts (I used walnuts) you can omit if desired

Pulse processor just until nuts and butter break up into small pieces. Then add:

1 egg white

Pulse till all ingredients are moist.  Place in bowl and set aside.

In a pan, bring to boil and simmer 5-10 minutes:

2 cups dates (about 40)
3/4 cup of water
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

After softened blend mixture in food processor. Press about 1/3 of the crust/topping mixture into a 8X8 or 9X9 inch greased pan.  

3 large apples
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Slice apples thinly and add cinnamon, toss to coat.  Place apple mixture on top of oat crust and spread evenly.  Dot date mixture all over the apples and spread evenly.  Top with the rest of the oat crust topping.  Bake 350  for 45-55 min, covering with foil if the topping browns to quickly before the apples are tender. 







Comments

Popular Posts