Gluten Free Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Bars

I was born with Celiac but the doctors told my mom I could out grow it when I was 7 years old.  So when I was 7 I started eating gluten.  I wasn't having any noticeable outward signs, so my folks figured I was fine.  33 years later I started loosing weight at a rapid pace for no apparent reason.  Getting old isn't so bad, I thought, I'm going to be one of those lucky people who get skinnier as I grow older instead of fatter!! However, people at church started to ask me if I was okay.  I was so skinny I looked like someone with cancer.  I knew in my heart what it was so I went and got tested for Celiac.  Sure enough, that's what it was.  Many symptoms (gas, bloating, heartburn, blisters, rashes) that I'd had all my life, I found were actually symptoms of Celiac.  My doctor told me you never outgrow Celiac once you have it.

Since then I had struggled with finding a breakfast or snack food that was quick, easy and nutritious that was easy to take on the go.  I came up with these breakfast bars.  Sometimes I make them cranberry nut but this time I made them with cherries and chocolate.  You can always add or subtract nuts or chocolate if you have a dislike or allergy.  I often take these with me on a trip so I don't starve on the hotels continental breakfast! They're so good with a piece of swiss cheese and some vanilla yogurt on the side!

 Gluten Free Chocolate Cherry Breakfast Bars

1 cup butter
2 cups coconut sugar (you can use white or brown sugar)
4 eggs
1/2 cup jam (I use cherry)
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup flax seed meal
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 cups gf oats
3 cups gf flour
1 cup juice (I use cherry)
1 1/2 cups dried fruit (I use cherry but can use cranberry)
1 cup nuts (I used pecan)
1 1/2 - 2 cups chocolate chips  

Heat oven to 350 and spray a half sheet cake pan (jelly roll pan).

Cream together butter and sugar.  Add eggs and beat until fluffy. Mix in the jam, coconut, flax, gelatin, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar until well combined.  Then add the oats.  Alternately add the flour and juice until just wet. Then carefully mix int the fruit, nuts and chocolate chips.  

Spread with wet hands in a greased pan and bake for 30-45 minutes (checking at 30 min). Set on rack to cool.

To watch my YouTube video on detailed instructions press HERE 



Comments

Popular Posts