Gluten Free Pie Crust and Pumpkin Pie

Besides bread, one of the mystery's of gluten free baking is the pie crust.  How do you get that tender flaky crust, that won't fall apart before it hits the plate?  

I use to make a lot of pies before being gluten free.  I learned from my mom who learned from her mom, how to make the best pies ever!  I may be bias but they were pretty good.  Mom still makes pies regularly and I don't think there's anyone who makes a better, tender pie crust than her.  I was brought up with that.  When I first got married I would stand with the rolling pin in hand crying as my pie crust ripped and crumbled!!  My husband would ask, "is it really worth learning how to make pies?" He wanted a happy life with a happy wife, which I never was when making pies.  Finally, after many tears I learned the art (and yes it is an art) of pie crust making.  I too could finally make great pies!

Fast forward 21 years and I would find I had Celiac, which would change my baking life forever! 13 years later (if you do the math, I'm 55 yrs old), I'm emerging from the fog of how baking should be to learning a new art form.  It is a totally different animal, this gluten free baking.  But I'm finally having fun with it.  I decided it was once again time to tackle the pie crust.  

I felt like I hit the jackpot with this one.  My husband and I were thinking it tasted really good but all my doubt went away when my son (who is not gf and is 22 yrs old) told me that this is his favorite pie crust I've ever made (including my non gluten free crust).  He said it's really good!  I have to admit my buttons popped a little bit! 

I hope you enjoy this pie crust as much as we do!  With it I'm including my favorite pumpkin pie recipe.  It is adapted from the Libby's pumpkin pie recipe which you can find their original recipe HERE. 

Gluten Free Pie Crust

1/4 cup or half stick butter (I use salted)
2 oz cream cheese
1 cup gluten free rice flour mix (my recipe is Here)
pinch of salt 
2 Tablespoons cold water
1 egg white (save the yolk for the pie filling)

In a food processor (or you can cut the shortening with a pastry blender or forks), pulse the butter, cheese, flour and salt until the butter is in small, even pieces.  Add the water and pulse until all ingredients are moist.  Add the egg white and pulse until it forms little beads like tapioca.  Pour loose dough onto greased wax paper and press another greased wax paper on top and roll to desired size. Peel off top layer of waxed paper and invert onto a greased pie plate.  Fold over the dough around the edge of the pie to build up a ridge and then crimp or flute the edges.


See video Here for full instructions. 
Fill with pumpkin pie filling or filling of choice.

Pumpkin Pie filling

1 15 oz can pumpkin
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t cloves

Mix above ingredients together until smooth, then add:

1 egg yolk
2 eggs

Beat until eggs are well incorporated, then add:

1 12 oz can evaporated milk

Mix in and pour into pie crust.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes then turn oven down to 350 and bake for 50 more minutes.  Remove from oven and cool.  Let it cool completely before eating (you can eat it warm but it tastes so much better completely cooled.) Serve with whipped cream if desired.



Comments

Popular Posts