Foolproof Gluten Free Gravy




Gravy is a necessary part to every Thanksgiving meal or as my son-in-laws would say, a necessary part to any meal.  But so often when eating anywhere that's the part of the meal we have to skip. I love mashed potatoes, but they just aren't the same without a puddle of gravy cradled in the center.

Most gravies are made with flour which gives them a cloudy appearance.  Gravies made with starch are more clear and "shiny" looking. Since I've been gluten free most of my life I almost always have had it made with cornstarch.  This time I made gravy with arrow root starch because I've become sensitive to corn.  You can use either and they both turn out the same.

Gravy seems like a scary thing to make for some people.  How do I make it so it's not lumpy?  How do I make it taste good?  I will show you my method and recipe and take all the mystery out of it. 

Foolproof Gluten Free Gravy

3-4 cups Turkey broth (from your turkey, a boxed broth)*
2-3 T corn or arrowroot starch
1/4 cup cold water
salt and pepper

Pour the broth from the turkey (or box) into a 4 quart pan.  In a separate cup add the starch and cold water together.  Stir until it is smooth (you can add more water if it needs it). Heat the broth to boiling. Slowly stir in a portion of the starch water adding more as needed.  Stir for one minute until it thickens (you may not need all of the starch or you may need more according to how thick you like your gravy.) Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.


*if you need to stretch it a little further add some potato water or more broth

Comments

Popular Posts