Gluten Free Bone Broth Turkey Soup



Over the past year, I've been starting to make bone broth.  It was a new discovery for me after reading articles from Dr. Axe and others on the benefits of bone broth (read it here)
It helps to repair the gut, aids in digestion and is good for arthritis.   The first batch I made was with beef bones.  I roasted them, then covered with water, added onion, celery and some spices and roasted for 30 hours.  It was a long process but so worth having the bone broth.  I cooled it, put it in freezer bags and froze it for future use.  Whenever a recipe called for beef broth or if I saw an opportunity to use the broth, I'd just take some out and use it.  It was delicious and healthful.  

This time @everydayglutenfreebykaren I made turkey bone broth. Now, turkey bone broth is so much easier and cheaper, especially after Thanksgiving.In the past I would  freeze the turkey bones and wait for a convenient time to make soup.  This year I had a new, easy plan, I used my crock pot. Most of the "work" was done while I slept.  Now that's easy cooking! Hope you find this recipe helpful!

Gluten Free Bone Broth Turkey Soup

Bone broth:

Fill the crock pot (or stock pot if desired) with turkey bones.  I pushed them into the pot breaking some of the bones so they'd fit.  Fill with cold water. Add:

1 onion cut into fourths
2 celery stalks cut in half
2 garlic cloves left whole or crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary

Turn pot to low and cook for at least 12 hours (I cooked mine for 16 hours).  Remove carcass and drain broth thru a strainer or cheesecloth to remove all small bones.  Refrigerate or freeze or use right away for soup. When chilled the broth will become gelatinous when cooled.  All that means is you made it correctly.  It will become a delicious broth again when heated.  












Soup:

In a frying pan gently saute:

1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 onions, diced
4 stalks celery, diced (include the celery leaves if there are any)
6 large cloves garlic, crushed and roughly chopped

Then add:

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
1 Tablespoon tomato paste (I use Trader Joe's paste in a tube so I don't have to open a can everytime! Not sponsored I just love their stuff.)

Saute for two minutes to "wake up" the tomato paste. Than add:

1/4 cup white wine

Cook on med high until all the liquid is absorbed, about 3 - 5 minutes. Add onion mixture to the bone broth and heat to boiling.  Turn to med low and add:

5 carrots cut
1 cup wild rice (could also use quinoa)
1 -2 cups turkey, cut in chunks
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes

Cook on med low for 1 -1/2 hours or until rice is done (I like my wild rice to split open and curl).





 

Comments

Popular Posts